Vicky Hipwell

Welcome to my Blog, i will be writing about my Self Directed Project at Art University College Bournemouth. I am studying BA (Hons) Costume with Performance Design in the second year.

Saturday 20 March 2010

SDP Week 1

Workshop 1

Waistband;
Basque;
Knickers.

We constructed the waistband as a group, i found it quite simple to follow the hand out notes once. We made the mistake of envelope stitching the grois grain petersham (behind the elastic) to the petersham not the elastic, there was no way of fixing our mistake so we all re-did the waistbands. I realised how fixing the peterham onto the elastic was to secure the elastic in the waistband, without the envelope stitch joining them it would be so easy to rip out whilst the dancers were dancing.
This gave me a further understanding in constructing garments for dance productions, it will also help me in costume construction in a whole as i will think more deeper into how my construction will benefit/constrict the movement of the actress/dancer.

Basque:
Basque was very straight forward, the only part that took a little time to get my head around was that one CB end was turned in and one CB turned out. When i related it to the waistband hand out it was easier as they where both going to be joined they had to match.



I didn't realise that ballet costumes had all the seams on the outside, i have learnt that it will benefit the dancer as it will not chafe and irritate the dancer. There wouldn't be any lining as that would bulk the costume out, and it wouldn't be a "second skin" if there was lining and extra bulk. So it defiantly is the best option.


Knickers:
Working with the soft net material made me a little nervous as i had worked with slippery fabric in a previous unit (RRR.) I found it ok, i took it slow and made sure i took all the precautions i could think of taking.

When i was making up my knickers i went ahead without reading my notes and made a mistake, i did a french seam on CF and CB. The CB was not needed because i wouldn't be able to attach my net to the knickers without a lot of problems later on when I'm going to have a lot more fabric to be dealing with, it resulted in me having to start again which i believe is certainly the best decision for the long run in the tutu construction.







Notes:

Refer back to my notes more, dont carry on without checking step by step

Be more confident in my own judgement. Make decisions on what i think is right, not what others may be doing.

Keep at a steady pase, done rush

No comments:

Post a Comment