Vicky Hipwell

Welcome to my Blog, i will be writing about my Self Directed Project at Art University College Bournemouth. I am studying BA (Hons) Costume with Performance Design in the second year.

Saturday 17 April 2010

Learning Outcomes for SDP

Planning-What am i doing for SDP, and what do i want to achieve from my project?

In this unit I will be exploring and developing my skills in a new area of costume construction. I will be working along side a group to produce a collection of ballet tutus for clients from Arts Ed. The costumes will be used in their ballet end of year show next year. I will apply the technical experience that I have achieved through previous briefs and continue to develop my self learning. I will practice draping on the stand, altering the tutu and learn about the ballet costume silhouette. During the course of this unit I aim to achieve a deeper understanding of costumes in performance. This will be accomplished through learning how a ballet costume is constructed through workshops alongside research on how the ballet was first recognised to how we see and interpret it today.

I have chosen to construct a ballet tutu for my Self Directed Project because I have never challenged myself to this extent before. I have never constructed anything for dance, and I believe it is a completely new skill to learn from a non specified costume construction .It will also help me in future job prospects. I also believe that this is the only opportunity I will have to be taught how to make a ballet costume in university as I am very interested in making costumes for dance shows. I am excited that ballet will be my first learning opportunity. It will be a great place to start having a complex costume construction to learn and it will hopefully help me in understanding further areas of dance costume construction.

Leaning to construct a ballet tutu will help my self learning as I won’t have workshops throughout the construction I will be having a workshop for what needs to be constructed before the next workshop, just as the industry would work.
I feel this unit will push me and improve my technical skills. I do believe this project will make me work much better from notes as previously I have been going ahead without reading the workshop notes. To achieve a level of self learning I will have to make detailed notes to refer back to and individually problem solve which I feel I do need to work on. I believe I am good at time management, and I quite enjoy organising the time I have productively.

I plan to produce my research through my blog and a file. This will include the history of ballet, and how it has formed from what used to be, to what we know today. I will also be looking into how the ballet costumes developed with the development of the art of the ballet.

I will be evaluating areas of construction throughout the workshops’ on my blog referencing to final completed photos for personal development.

No comments:

Post a Comment