Vicky Hipwell

Welcome to my Blog, i will be writing about my Self Directed Project at Art University College Bournemouth. I am studying BA (Hons) Costume with Performance Design in the second year.

Saturday 8 May 2010

Reflection of Fitting

Reflection on Fitting

I am really pleased how my fitting went, i didn't have to make any major alterations. A couple of seams on the bodice to make it more of a "second skin" and re align the plate.

The plate was the most obvious area that needed correcting. I had fitted it off the mannequin which had meant it wasn't straight down the CB and didn't match up (refer to "technical side of fitting photos to see.") I hadn't thought about putting it on the mannequin, because i had already drafted it on the mannequin with the calico pattern i thought it would line up. I have learnt that when a garment is always changing (tutu moving, squashing, stringing, bending) when putting a plate onto a temperamental garment its more effective to take all precautions. Plus when it is on the mannequin it is in the shape of the body and it will sit on the body differently to off the mannequin. I will be taking this away with me in my future constructing skills and in year three. By taking the "longer" route will benefit how well the garment fits to the body. In dance wear it is more obvious than some other costume areas.

At the fitting, to me, it is a visual conclusion on how well i have grabbed this new area of construction over all i am really pleased how it fits and how it looks. To be thrown into the deep end in a completely new area of construction, i did wonder at times how it was supposed to look (as i had no idea) but as it has gone on i have learnt how the tutu layers, knickers, waistband and basque are meant to look together. I can relate the bodice to costumes i have done before-but with more panels.

Over the past weeks i have learnt a lot about myself and my strenghts and faults. I thought my organisation skills were really good. I do still think i am good at time management, but little areas that let me down which results some areas of my organisation to be really messy. Such as having two note books, referring back and forth is messy and confusion i could do without.

It has also taught me that i shouldn't be too worried about taking on a new challenge, as i have learnt so much that i can take away with me in my 3rd year and industry years, not just about dance construction, about construction that i can use in other costumes. Alternative way of thinking that will make the garment fit better.

I have set myself time schedules that sometimes may be pushing myself, i like to have at least 2 days "fall back" in case something goes wrong i have scheduled time in for areas that might have gone wrong. I find myself rushing sometimes, which makes me make silly mistakes, when i do have enough time to take my time. I think that will come with confidence, its getting there, this unit has taught me a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment