Vicky Hipwell

Welcome to my Blog, i will be writing about my Self Directed Project at Art University College Bournemouth. I am studying BA (Hons) Costume with Performance Design in the second year.

Thursday 13 May 2010

What would i change?

What Would I Change?

When i was trying to put the leg frill into the channel on the knickers i found it really hard to thread it through as i had sewn the leg frill on over the channel before i re-did it, there was stitching in the channel that prevented me from putting the elastic through; again this was due to my problem that i went on ahead and hadn't checked where to sew. i didn't know where to sew it i just thought i knew where it went.
To prevent this from happening i should have looked on the example that Dexter had provided us or spoke to someone that has done the ballet workshops before and knew where it went. I checked too late and then i was told that i had sewn partly over my channel.

To prevent bulk in the seam allowance in the piping i cut the bodices seam allowance down above the design line, on the CF and a SSF seam, i cut away the seam allowance too much and when i put the piping over the seams, it didn't reach to where i had cut it too, so therefore it looks messy, and I'm really not happy with it.
Next time to prevent this from happening again i will measure how much seam allowance i will have from my piping and i will cut to the length that i will be able to conceal it.

I overlocked my bodice and facing in black overlock, i thought the tones worked better than the white, i hadnt thought that the drill was white and it would look better. Also the facing would be better in white so it didn't show through the net. If i could i would overlock it in white as it would look better.
I also used grey thread on my piping as i thought it would work better than white, as the white stood out too much, the black was too dark so i went in the middle with the grey. I would do it in the gold that i have been sewing my fastenings on with and use a consistent thread colour throughout to improve my finishing standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment