Vicky Hipwell

Welcome to my Blog, i will be writing about my Self Directed Project at Art University College Bournemouth. I am studying BA (Hons) Costume with Performance Design in the second year.

Monday 10 May 2010

Reflection

Reflection

As this unit is self directed i try and take my initiative, sometimes i need to just check before as i have found in a new area of construction i haven't known the "correct" method for ballet dance wear construction. I have found this hard to balance independent learning with taking a completely new skill on board. If i have been doing an area i had done before and knew the steps rather than the alternative techniques that needs to be taken, i think i would be able to make more decisions on my on behalf, and get it right-more than i have.

Through out construction i have noticed a big problem that causes me unnecessary issues. I am trying so hard to get everything done i go through my "To do" list and sometimes i assume that simple techniques will be the same.
I.E Piping on the bodice. I thought that the hem and neck line would be straight forward. As we are producing this for a client and the costume is being used next year, we are taking precautions if the bodice needs to be taken in/out. So extra piping had to be concealed in at the seam in case it was to be taken out. Then re-started at the side seam to the CB and finished normally.
I had seen piping and presumed that it was straight forward. I had to unpick the CB to the side seam and conceal some piping.

I have to stop plowing through the list without instruction to be a better maker. If i do not have instruction i need to do more research and find out from books or the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment